- 2 oz/ 55g butter
- 2 oz/ 55g all purpose/plain flour
- 1 level tsp mustard powder (optional)
- Large pinch salt
- 1 pint / 460 ml milk
- 3 oz/ 75g cheddar cheese or similar, grated plus extra for sprinkling on top
- Freshly ground pepper
- Place the butter and flour into a large saucepan. Over a low heat stir the butter and flour until the butter has melted and the flour is incorporated. Add the salt and mustard powder and continue stirring for 2 minutes.This is to cook out the floury taste and to soften the starch grains in the flour ready to make the sauce.
- Turn the heat up to medium and add the milk in one go and whisk furiously until all a smooth sauce is formed. Continue stirring until the sauce is thickened and glossy (about 5 minutes) If the sauce is very thick add a little more milk, the sauce should be thick but still runny. Add the grated cheese and stir until melted. Remove from the heat.